10 Ways to Decompress Before BedtimePosted by Roxanne Perregaux on Jun 30, 2020 in Uncategorized | Comments Off on 10 Ways to Decompress Before Bedtime
I’ve had trouble sleeping all my life. As a child and thru school years; it was falling asleep that troubled me. As an adult and throughout adult-hood; it was staying asleep that evaded me. For many years, I would wake up at 3:15AM every morning. I tried many things but I found it is a multi-layered approach. Most importantly, I found that it works. I’ve never slept as well as I do now – it’s so wonderful to wake up every day and realize how well I’ve slept and to really feel good.
10 Ways to Decompress Before Bedtime
- 1, Shower/bath and or wash face – change into night clothes
- 2. Choose tomorrow’s clothes, jewelry/accessories
- 3. Turn down bed, adjust lighting, prepare bedroom for sleep
- 4. 1 hour or more before bed: create tomorrow’s to do list
- 5. Slow stretching
- 6. Write in a Gratitude Journal: list of at least 5 things for which you are grateful while enjoying 7.)
- 7. ½ cup Warm sleepy tea
- 8. Meditation / quiet time sitting or lying down with quiet, calming music you enjoy. Thought process ideas: landscapes – mountains, ocean, lake, desert, country etc… sunrise, sunset, spring rain, forest sounds, soft tactile sensations – do not think/imagine food or other aroma’s
- 9. Once in bed: squeeze for 5 – 10 seconds then relax for 5 – 10 seconds each part of your body starting with toes, feet, calves, knees, thighs, groin, buttocks, stomach, fingers (squeeze fists then relax), arms (pull arms into body then relax), shoulder blades (pull together and then apart – closing chest together), shoulders (up to ears and then pulling down), face (scrunch up face and then relax) Follow with 8 deep breaths – breath in through your nose and then let the air flow out through your mouth.
- 10. Say – either out loud or to yourself – good night brain, good night body, Thank you.